business news in context, analysis with attitude

The In-Store Marketing Institute has a piece on its website about how The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Co. (A&P) has been pushing both its loyalty marketing program and its private brands:

• According to the story, “Shoppers at A&P chains were invited to save up to 15% on a future purchase by using a store loyalty card between July 31 and Aug. 27 … the promotion dangled discounts off future receipts of 5% with total purchases from $200 to $400, 10% with purchases from $400 to $600 and 15% with totals of $600 or more (for a maximum reward of $75). The savings certificates were valid from Aug. 28 to Sept. 3.”

• In addition, the retailer is “touting its private-label America's Choice brand with shelf tags promoting ‘I-want-to-hug-the-manager low prices’ and ‘I-can't-believe-my-eyes low prices.’ Private-label promotions are also presented on stanchion signs, along with price labels and ceiling signs comparing America's Choice prices with those of equivalent national brands.”
KC's View:
It has been a tough few years for A&P, probably all the more frustrating because the company is opening some excellent stores in its marketing areas. I hope, for their sake, that as times get better, people start to catch on to a company doing some good work.